Monday, September 1, 2008

Sublime Simplicity

My gal posted about a rite of passage we participated in this weekend. She said a bunch of things that I planned on saying. Just as well, she did a better job.

On a personal magickal level, I was pleased because I found the frequency they operate on by searching through my database of knowledge until something clicked. Fun. That was just an aside because the night was not about me at all. It was about love and family religion.

Years ago, my mentor would sit me down in his temple space and talk. Later, he let me watch him talk to someone else. I sat quietly in a corner and was struck by the fact that this is the way the mysteries have been taught for thousands of years, one person teaching one person--the simplicity beautiful.

A year or two back, I had the privilege of attending a Gnostic Mass held in a converted garage. The space was awesome but we had be quiet lest the neighbors would get wind of what was happening in their midst. This is how Christianity began. Small groups of people worshiping in secret. I am sure new religious movements have started like this for ages. The cycle repeats.

At the Wiccaning this weekend, I was struck again by the religion of old. Not the "Olde Religion" (i.e. Wicca pretending to be ancient religion since 1958) but old in the cyclic sense. Here was one man, the leader of his family. Who understands what he teaches to his family. Who practices what he teaches to his family. Who lives a spiritual life with his family.

There is no building or space to pay for other than what they already have. There is no congregation of moral observers looking for a gossip inspiring slip-up. There is no collection plate.

Isn't this what religion should be? Beautiful in its simplicity.'

picture from: (http://www.worstedwitch.com/pix/2006/08/13/stones.jpg)

No comments: