Thursday, December 6, 2012
The Consequences of Oaths
I once took this oath:
The Oath of the Abyss
1. I, ___________, a member of the Body of God, hereby bind myself on behalf of the Whole Universe, even as we are now physically bound unto the cross of suffering:
2. that I will lead a pure life, as a devoted servant of the Order:
3. that I will understand all things:
4. that I will love all things:
5. that I will perform all things and endure all things:
6. that I will continue in the Knowledge and Conversation of my Holy Guardian Angel:
7. that I will work without attachment:
8. that I will work in truth:
9. that I will rely only upon myself:
10. that I will interpret every phenomenon as a particular dealing of God with my soul.
I bitch about the impact of this oath a lot. I was doing so the other day to my friend, I lamented that I was the only person in a situation that got called on his actions while everyone else got a pass. He said, "Yeah but you're the only one that took an oath to grow spiritually."
Game. Set. Match.
Living like this is a bitch. Many years ago RO was right when he said never take that oath. He continued, "It puts a target on your back." Yes, there is a target on your back 24/7. I step two inches out of line and the Universe descends -- corrects me -- slaps me upside the head with a clue-by-four when necessary. Tighter and tighter winds the cord and deeper down the rabbit hole I go. That said Exupery was right, "Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing left to add but nothing left to take away." This oath takes a lot away.
Early in my journey a Yaqui native told me, "You can become the person you want to be because you listen." He was right. I do. I listen every time the universe smacks me. I am aware of the fact that it keeps smacking me until I draw the proper conclusions. All of these corrections seem to point out what I am not to be so that I can be what I Am. If you want to grow spiritually, learn to heal, read souls or whatever it is that you are meant to do, you have to dive in.
RO was right. It puts a target on your back but the bulls eye is the True You. How you dive in, under what oaths, what traditions or lack thereof is up to you but if you don't dive, you're wasting your time. DIVE. DIVE NOW.
You know who you are...and soon you will know more.