Friday, September 16, 2011

Questions from my Editor

My editor talked to me about the Spirit post. His editorial suggestion follows:

Last night, I popped into (my?) temple and did my modified version of the LIRP to call the angels of the elements. Technically, I don't need the ritual (why not?, but it does bring a sense of comfort, I suppose. (This sounds awfully ambivalent - I'm curious as to how it provides a sense of comfort?) My temple room is humming right now and I like that. So, for now, I will keep doing that ritual.

He points out things like this a lot. So, I suppose at least some of yo have the same questions. I am going to start answering his questions here in hopes of two things. First, that it will improve my writing. Secondly, I am hoping to fill out the gaps you may have. I guess if I was a marketer, I'd reverse those but I figure if these omissions really bothered you, my reader,  you'd have asked by now.

Why do I not need to do the LIRP to call the angels of the elements?

First of all, these are not archangels of the original LIRP but elemental angels. Having contacted them, I have internalized them to a point. Thus making the full ritual unnecessary. Even with that, the ritual forms allows stronger communication. I would prefer to do it for that reason.

Why does the ritual [LBRP/LIRP] bring a sense of comfort?

Some of this can be explained by the simple comfort of a repeated action. The same way that a warm cup of coffee is just as welcome on a work day as it is on a quiet Saturday morning. I suppose the mental balancing of having all the elements so aligned with spirit contributes. Maybe it is the act of taking charge of my own spiritual path and discovers is represented by this fundamental ritual. It could be that I perceive the forces to be so much present when doing this rite in my temple room. ++This is actually a very good question. I am going to have to think about it a bit more.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

The segue to the "comfort" part is in the line where you say that your temple room is humming - and who wouldn't want that kind of energy in Place and Space, right there, when you walk in? ahh!

To me, that is the best of your writing, the stuff that makes the map come to life. Then suddenly, you draw back, become more philosophical, introspective, or worse, self-deprecating.

It is charmingly idiosyncratic but I can see that an editor might be concerned...

Robert said...

I don't mind the philosophical, introspective or idiosyncratic. I'd also rather be self-depreciating rather than the stereo-typical arrogant magician. I'd rather not be either. Shrug.

Unknown said...

Watching out for arrogance is a good thing, but there's no need to hamstring yourself when you're speaking from a place of legitimate experience.

Also, I'm jealous of your editor; I'd love to have someone bounce questions back at me before I hit the post button.