Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pleasantness

Yesterday, I participated in the Central Valley Pagan Pride Day. After a hiatus of a few years, the new organizer, Audra Taylor, and her crew did a bang up job. What really impressed me that in Audra's first attempt at running such a thing, it was every bit as organized as Pantheacon. I've attended Pantheacon probably ten times and spoke there twice. So, that is no idle compliment. This "small" local event attracted an estimated 500 people. I know vendors that made a profit. Not bad after the issues that occurred with the last one.

I spoke on Golden Dawn Basics. I have a really hard time guessing how many people extended me the courtesy of their time. I am guessing from 30 to 50. At the end, I heard two young ladies spontaneously utter the word, "Wow".  Speakers don't get a much better compliment than that. The local anthropologist asked me to use these speech for the next lecture I give to her class.

Later, I met a fellow from Africa. He was speaking to the anthropologist while I was a few feet away. He called me over to join the conversation. I remember thinking that this guy is brilliant, educated, connected spiritually, and had a mind that worked much too quickly for me to follow. He then told the anthropologist that I was a moral man and how he could tell. The odd part is that this is the second time in recent memory that someone has said that. I am not sure why that has occurred recently. To me that is a nice compliment as neither implied a judgmental morality, just my own. Later he said that he called me over because resonated as a man of peace. That was quite a nice compliment given my assessment of this man prior to his saying that.

My back problems have finally been diagnosed with a physical cause. This is very nice as most doctors left me with the impression there was no physical cause. It was very nice to know there is one and that it is treatable. It won't be cured but it is treatable.

1 comment:

Stephen H. Provost said...

I concur 100%. I have yet to get to a Pantheacon - I'm hoping to go next year - so I have no basis for comparison. But I will say this event exceeded my expectations. It ran smoothly, everyone was professional and courteous, and the weather was gorgeous. Audra's calm and flexible yet "get-it-done" attitude set the perfect tone. I can only marvel at the energy she put into this. It was my first shot at public speaking, and it went off without a hitch (at least on the technical side - it's something I'll have to get used to doing). It was good to see everyone pitch in and work together to ensure that this all went off so well!