Thursday, November 15, 2012

My God is a Thief (Hermes)

It seems that some claim that magicians downplay the thief part of Hermes. I cannot speak for all magicians, only for myself.

I have invoked Hermes on many occasion  I gave him credit of helping me develop the Manifestation Meditation, my astral sight, my understanding (limited as it may be) of how we are all connected and a host of other things. I have expressed his laughter so fully that my working partners have been shocked and, from all appearances, a bit scared. I am a little disappointed he hasn't opened whatever blockage that keeps me from writing on the book. Though, that is really my responsibility.

At no time has he asked me to steal anything nor do I recall even the temptation to do so. I suppose if you call my purchasing of clothes made by someone in a sweatshop or other such things theft of a fair wage or something, I may be a thief. I have posted pictures here that are not mine to post. I don't do that as much as I used to. Sometimes, I take a longer break than allotted at work. Aside from that, I cannot think of any stealing in my life.

That said, I fully recognize that in his lore he is a thief. While I do not see within me an internal reflection of that fact, I see plenty in the outside world. There are many participants in commerce that are thieves. One look at our financial meltdown can show plenty of examples. I would have to be a major hypocrite not to see and own the thief-like aspects of His nature. I have, after all, pointed out the horrors inflicted by Yahweh and cannot figure out why anyone would want to meet that particular deity. So, I have to own the thief aspect of Hermes.

However, I do not take that as permission to steal. One of our fellow bloggers wrote about how it is acceptable to steal from Llewellyn because they publish so much garbage. My solution would not be to buy anything from them and to tell authors that migrate to that publisher that I will not buy their work under that label. Someone else's questionable practices does not make it permissible me engage in likewise questionable practices. This is a basic fact of living that everyone's mother taught them and for good reason. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I do not hold any value in theft or deception despite the fact that the god I am most likely to call on has both those traits. In this, I am told that I am dualistic when I claim that theft and deception is not something to be valued. I am asked, "What if I lie to save your life?" Well, that would be a good thing, I suppose. However, I cannot think of a single example where someone's lying has saved the life of anyone I know. The extreme example does not prove the point. In fact, if you have to go that far to justify something, I'm going with the idea that the argument is spurious to begin with.

I think my friend may have a much different concept of non-duality than I. To me, if you're arguing that one can engage in destructive behavior because putting a value judgement on something is dualistic, you've missed the point. Taking action you like, destructive or otherwise, when the whim strikes you because you are 'above dualism' isn't enlightenment, it is selfishness.

First of all, the full understanding that it all works out over the very long term, does not make it acceptable to do needless damage in the now. I quote Brandon Myers,

...it would be wrong to say that Temperance is the quality of someone that puts a lid on the sensual side of her being. Temperance is not the same as abstinence, and certainly not the same as chastity. The Temperate person is allowed to enjoy sensual pleasure, even encouraged to do so. However, as Aristotle says, "...it is right to be a lover of self. Though self-love of an ordinary sort is wrong." Ordinary self-love is that of the indulgent, greedy person. "The bad man ought not to be a lover of self, since he will follow his base passions and so injure not only himself but his neighbors." The idea behind Temperance, here, is that one should pursue pleasures intelligently, without becoming 'addicted', so to speak, and so one will not end up causing harm to oneself or others.

You may live with an understanding of a non-dualistic nature but those around you may not. Do not make them experience the negative side of their world view for some minor want.

Secondly, gauging behavior and its ramifications is not dualistic, it is wisdom. A man who has lost a marriage due to cheating on his wife, may choose another lifestyle in order to preserve the respect of a new partner. Similarly, one that lies, cheats and steals, devotee of Hermes or not, is likely to face similar social consequence and may learn that avoiding those behaviors results in a more pleasant social interactions.

Living within the auspiciousness of non-dualism means living in singularity. There are no longer either/or decisions but ways of Being. Crowley once said that a man living his true will cannot be interfered with as the entire universe will conspire to be with him. Robert would say that those who are unfolding do so, not only by aiding others but being aided by them*. Such states of Being allow human flourishing while smaller definitions retard the same.

It seems to be that adopting the thief aspect of Hermes would be a diversion for the unwary traveler.

*Amazing though it is, I have a Disciple of Christ aiding my walk at the moment. By that, I do not mean a Christian, I mean a disciple.“Every person will know by this that you are my disciples, if you shall have love one to the other."

No comments: