Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ace of Swords is Upside Down

Many years ago, I noticed the Ace of Swords in the Thoth Tarot is upside down. Lon DuQuette's book, Understanding Aliester Crowely's Thoth Tarot is a must read for tarot readers and magicians alike. In that work he quotes Crowley on the Ace of Swords.

The pommel of the sword is in Daath, the guard extends to Chesed and Geburah; the point is in Malkuth.


A quick look at the pictures below shows the ace is drawn with the point in Keter (1) and the pommel in Malkuth (10). I have mentioned this curiousity for years but never gave the idea a lot of thought.

Today, I was meditating on Adam Kadmon, the Qabalistic concept of the primal man - the bridge between manifest man and the ultimate divine. I asked how do I pray to you [Adam Kadmon]? The crown of the ace appeared around my head. If you viewed the top of my head as the tip of the sword, the crown would be in the exact position it is on the card. Soon, I saw the sword within me as well.

The idea of the card being upside down came to mind and I toyed with it for a while but that took me out of the meditation. Returning to my original focus, I continued. Two things came to my awareness. I am not sure which arrived first.

I believe Crowley described the card as the way of return to the godhead but had the card drawn as the way of creation (i.e the force moving downward from Keter.

The swords are about separation and the process of individualization. As a rule they are painful but as Crowley said, "Love is the reason behind this ruthless analysis."

Point downward shows the godhead separating Itself into the individual human. Drawn as is, the copper pommel, represents the pure desire (Venus) to make the return journey. The crown of light being the result. That light allows us to see G-d in all that is because we can view the separate parts that sum up to the Grand Whole

The second idea came as combination of the vision and today's events. I had stated on a Facebook thread that I would not send comments to the organizers of Pantheacon as they do not seem to want feedback that isn't positive. For this I was treated to the following line: "What I find to be an interesting perspective is the divine unfolding perfection one moment and the divisive ineptitude the next."* I was also told I was an asshole and bipolar. 

Old Robert would have spoiled for a fight. This Robert simply defended himself and moved on. However, the Ace of Swords came into play there as well. I quickly cut away and dismissed the words of someone that was obviously having a bad day, was ill or tired as that fellow rarely communicates like that. Old Robert would have owned the words and beat the crap out of himself. So, I was pleased with my progress in that area but the work of the Ace did not stop there. 

Did I mention both sides of that blade are razor sharp?

I came to realize that while I am no longer rabidly argumentative and no longer anger at such things, I do comment negatively too often. I will work on resolving that.

For those of you that have asked for the Spiritual Living series of posts, this is a big hint. In order to do that work, you have to cut through the static of the universe and find what is really being communicated whether it is being said well or not. Too many people dismiss clues about themselves because things are uttered by someone they don't like, in an inept fashion or by someone that has the same issue. Doing that is not productive. One has to cut away the crassness of others, one's own perspective and one's own self-defenses to truly learn. 

The swords represent those abilities. Working with the swords can be painful but oh so worth the trauma.

*Note: The line about perfection has inspired my first video blog entitled, The Problem with Perfection, as many people think they see hypocrisy any time I dislike something. This is the result of my failure to fully share the vision of perfection. I am going to try to clarify through the spoken rather than written word. It should be up in a day or two.




No comments: