Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Wisdom of Silence

The following is a rather disjointed jumble of random thoughts on silence.

Used in Wisdom

I have seen silenced used with wisdom in such a way as to enlighten or simply to not engage in base folderal.

Used in Uncertainty

Silence can avoid committing to something when one isn't sure

Used as a Vote

A silent response to a claim, statement on in place of another expected response is a very safe way to say fuck you.

Used as a Shield

I have seen silence used to hide from consequences basically a silent lie.

Used as a Weapon

I've seen silence used to harm as information is withheld with malice.

Used in Fear

I have seen fearful people use silence when they should speak. This ranges from a petty argument to what is discussed in that poignant work that condemns inappropriate silence, First They Came by Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984).

Used for the Ego

I have those that fool themselves into thinking silence is source of pride when really it is being used for social manipulation and the one-sided gathering of information.

Used in the Present

Unsure if I should utter a warning or not as I know not whether warning is warranted or inappropriate, helpful or harmful, a guide post or a inappropriate road block or based on my own insecurities or  on my own past-spawned baseless fears. I practice silence now. This is the silence of the my personal version of the Queen of Wands.

1 comment:

Lavanah said...

Since the Queen of Wands carries a special resonance with me, I would love to hear how she relates to your current state of silence. That is, if you can speak of it.