Sunday, April 11, 2010

Doing Magick for Readers of This Space

There was a time when I would never have considered taking money for magick. A couple years ago, I did tarot readings and donated all the money to a food bank. Later, I had people write checks to Valley Children's Hospital. I has zero ethical issues with that.

At the last Pantheacon, I was invited to be an official reader. This gave me the right to sit at a table and watch people walk by or so I thought. Two days later and not so many hours at the table, I had a significant percentage of my expense recouped. A dollar a minute adds up. I had no ethical issues with that either.

Jason Miller has repeatedly pointed out that many that would never charge for magick have no problems charging for tarot readings. This, he feels, is a contradiction. I must concede he is correct. Does this mean I will change my mind and charge for magick?

I am doubtful. A reader of this blog asked once, I referred him or her to Jason Miller. I have no idea if contact was ever made.

I have done magick for others and landed a very good job for someone. The price she paid was an offering to a non-political charity that she'd never donated to before and had no plans to donate to before our conversation. The amount wasn't even that great. I merely passed on the price that the gnomes asked for.

Jason's question removed all ethical doubts about charging for magick. Still, I wouldn't at this time. I have no reason whatsoever for my stance. It is just how I feel at the present. I have thought of doing some work for a selected group of readers who would like me to. My price would be an honest pledge to write me in detail about how the event, whatever it may be, came into manifestation, and/or to write me about whatever unintended results occurred that they attribute to the working. Sometimes unintended results are the best parts of magick, other times, not so much.

This is something I'm thinking on. If I come up with anything fun to do, I will make the offer. If readers have any suggestions, post to comments. Maybe something will come up that I want to do.

Edit: Though, it may be interesting to do a blind study where half of those who volunteer are worked for and the others not. Thinking...

4 comments:

Gordon said...

I like this a lot:

"I have done magick for others and landed a very good job for someone. The price she paid was an offering to a non-political charity that she'd never donated to before and had no plans to donate to before our conversation."

And I'm in agreement with you on not charging for magic. If you read my recent post on the topic you'll see it's not for any spiritual reasons. (I'm a virulent and unashamed capitalist.)

In fact, I would even consider myself part of the "definitely charge for magic" camp. But it just doesn't seem right for me personally.

We're probably both just weird. :)

Robert said...

Weird? I've been called worse.

Lavanah said...

My problem isn't with any individuals decision about magic and personal payment. I do have issues with people who make blanket statements regarding whether others should be paid for doing magic. And for the record, unless I volunteer to do a project, I do expect compensation.

Robert said...

Well, years ago, you'd have had an issue with me. However, I've changed my mind.