Friday, December 12, 2014

Mage and Mystic

The magician imposes his/her will on the universe. We want something to happen, contact spirits or other forces and direct them towards our goals. This works.

The mystic receives information and responds accordingly. Asking, “What do I need to hear,” is a gentle approach and the universe responds in kind.

As a magician, I was taught to get rid of things that I do not need. This can bring about a desire to cling to old ways, attitudes and behaviors.

As a mystic, I learned to accept my virtues and enhance them. This allows that which I do not need to fall away naturally.

As a magician, I was able to manifest my desires.

As a mystic, I am able to be where I need to be and do what I need to do.

As a magician, I sought to learn.

As a mystic, I am.

This allows me to live the words we uttered when entering a Golden Dawn hall. “I seek to learn that I may serve.”

As a magician, one has to be a bit arrogant to think that one knows enough to impose upon the universe.

As a mystic, one has to be a bit humble to receive a deeper reality without trying to change it.

As a magician, my ego is served when I successfully impose my will.

As a mystic, my ego is not served when I hear what is necessary.

As a magician, I respect power.

As a mystic, I respect the universe and everything and everyone in it.

As a magician, I use the Qabala to project power even though Kaballah means ‘to receive’.

As a mystic, I use the Qabala to receive.

Now, as I magician, I no longer prompt the universe to create my desires but to take me along the path I need to be on.

Now, as a mystic, I accept, love and enjoy that path.


Now, I am a mage-mystic. Life is good. Life is simple. Life is happy. And, I am still learning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read that you are reconciling your magical and mystical paths. From my personal viewpoint I'm not sure if there is a difference and the distinctions are academic.

As Liz Greene's book "Magi and Maggidim" pp4, highlights: "...Attempts to differentiate between 'mysticism' and 'magic' may also be misleading in the context of both British occultism and the Jewish Kabbalah. Moshe Idel has demonstrated in his studies on Modern Hasidism and medieval 'ecstatic' Kabbalah that magical ritual may serve as instruments to achieve mystical union, which in turn is seen as a conduit for the acquisition of magical powers**..."

** See the discussion of 'mystical', 'magical-talismanic', and 'magio-mystical' models in Idel, Hasidism (book) pp.53-102. See also Ithamar Gruenwald 'When Magical Techniques and Mystical Practices Become Neighbours: Methodogical Considerations', in Gideon Bohak, Yuval Harari, and Shaul Shaked (eds.) "Continuity and Innovation in Magical tradition" (Leiden: Brill, 2011) pp159-86.

Yvonne said...

I like being a mystic rather than a magician. No wanting to attach to things with desire and "make things happen." Creation and manifestation just is, and it is flawless. You helped me to see that. As far as "magical powers," when I perceive myself to be One with creator there is no greater magical power than this. How far can we go? It is a kind of bliss... and who needs anything more when there is complete-ness?

Dora said...

Simon, mysticism is silence, meaning being silent in your will to format the world.

Anonymous said...

Dora, do you envisage an end goal for mystical practice? For example, attempting union with the Divine? Or just being silent for the sake of it?

Suecae said...

Seems like you've come quite a way on your journey. I like your honest way of looking at these two perspectives, reconciling them.