Thursday, October 25, 2012

Instructions of Cormac

I have been reading Brandon Myers' The Other Side of Virtue. Frankly, I cannot remember when I have been so impressed with a book. Mostly because I feel he shares so well what I have always thought. He simply does it so much better. Further, he had taken my thoughts on things and elevated them. In his work, I have something that has inspired me to new avenues of growth. Expect to read more about this book in the future. He quotes this:

Instructions of Cormac 
(9th Century Ireland)

Be not too wise, not to foolish,
Be not too conceited, be not too diffident,
Be not too haughty, be not too humble,
Be not too talkative, be not too silent,
Be not too harsh, be not too feeble,
If you be too wise, one will expect (too much) of you;
If you be too foolish, you will be deceived;
If you be too conceited, you will be thought vexatious;
If you are too humble, you will be without honour;
If you be too talkative, you will not be headed;
If you be too silent, you will not be regarded;
If you be too harsh, you will be broken;
If you be too feeble, you will be crushed. 

As I read this it became readily apparent that I have been "too" in each category and suffered the corresponding result! Therefore, I am adding this to my daily prayer/remembrance list.

No comments: