Saturday, January 29, 2011

We Had a Threesome (With Subtitles)

Congress with the Gods
Holy Cow, That was Cool!
Such Tender Intimacy and Love


Or maybe it was a foursome.  I guess we could call it six.  Maybe 20?  Whatever it was there was a whole lot of WOW.

Last night, Flower and I called the Helpful Deity and Hermes.  Only this time there was a twist.  We invited a third party.  Our third is an experienced solo practitioner and has encountered many different pantheons.  At some point, it I'm going to have to come up with the nickname for her.

We started in the normal manner in meditation and my chant which I make up on the spot as we meditate.  Only this time it was high ceremony for us.  I say that because we used the gong and incense.  We've use both before from time to time but that is the height of our ceremonial work with these gods.
Normally, Flower notices the gods appear first.  I'm a bit slow on the uptake.  This time I felt them as soon as I began chanting.  At times during and the chant the feeling of Hermes within me faded in and out, right up until Flower put hand upon my chest.  That was like being plugged into an electrical outlet.  She had the perfect timing.  That was a sign of our experience in working together.

The Helpful Deity entered Flower as well in Her highest form.  When this happens Flower is uncommunicative for a bit and it takes my asking her questions before she can speak.  One of our prepared questions was to ask of our third party."How can she grow?" "Why is she here?"

I'm not going to post a response to that except to say the following. Our third did receive an answer thatI believe was very affirming.  The answer though was short.  I wouldn't call it hesitant only brief.

That is when the fun started for me.  Hermes took over like I've never felt a god before.  I'm not really sure how to describe this.  He had a lot to say and ritual memory fades fast.  So, I'm going to cover the highlights that I can remember at the moment.  Pardon me if I use words like wow, blown away, holy shit, spectacular and, at risk of being redundant, wow.

I'm sure I'm going to get this out of order.  When Hermes was speaking the universe opened.  It was like being in the middle of one of those maps of the constellations where lines connect the stars so you can see the shapes the ancients saw there.  There was a big difference.  There were no stars.  Instead, we were surrounded by ancient living beings.  It was a bit reminiscent of being within a Terry Prachett novel in which these mythical concepts we have are no longer concepts but anthropomorphized realities.  I saw an ancient woman in black sitting before a wooden table with a spinning wheel behind her stare into a small black object which allowed her to look at us.  I saw quite clearly a medium sized brown dog, maybe a labrador, that really wasn't a dog standing on the floor looking at us with his tail wagging. Someone/Something stood beside him but I only remember that now and have no idea whom that was. Though, it was male.  I saw the face of Zeus when Hermes reminded me of their ties.  The other beings around us used all sorts of devices with one intent, watching us.  Some used black mirrors, others cauldrons, others ponds, oceans, the very stars themselves and some needed no device whatsoever.

In writing that, it sounds intimidating.  It was not.  It was awesome.  At one point the archetypal  magician walked by at an angle from north to west.  He didn't really pay much attention to us. It was Hermes that pointed him out by saying "The magician. What is your story?  Oh, Gandalf.  It is all the same.  It doesn't matter." And at the magicians floppy hat he said, "Oh the Rider-Waite, that is one of my favorites."

I saw a vision of a fourth person to join our little group. Our third saw her too. I look forward to meeting her when the time is right.

At times Hermes was reading minds.  Our third had a question.  I could feel it roll like a wave off of her body but she left it unspoken.  Hermes quickly turned to her and said,"Yes.  The answer to your question is yes." She seemed pleased with that answer.

Add yet another time, Flower was going very internal and he noticed.  I saw a room within her soul where she feels safe.  I shall not describe it here but just thinking about it makes you want to hug and hold her.  Not because of anything within the room but because she needs the room itself.  He spoke to her then.  He encouraged her.  He spoke words of personal growth.  He shared with her how much of our third and I love her.  There is no doubt we do even though our third and Flower had just met.

So much that we do scares Flower and yet she keeps coming back.  I cannot tell you how much I respect someone so afraid, so internal, and so willing to continually be challenged.  Words cannot express my admiration.

At one point, Hermes turned to our third, and said, "We will not harm you.  We have never harmed them and we will not.  Yes there are the myths and they serve a purpose.  They keep out the riff raff." He said this with amusement.  Most of the time he was very amused and I personally found him quite funny though a bit of a dandy times.  I saw a small wooden box a bit bigger and a little more square than the boxes commonly used to store tarot cards." Someone he is thinking of Pandora's box." Of course, it was our third, who has been known to be distrustful of the gods.  There's wisdom in that at times.  She affirmed her thought and he and he said, "That is not for you."

"But it is still there," she stated.

"Yes, but is not for you."

Our third challenged him by asking questions in a very direct and almost pushy manner.  Flower and I have never spoken to them like this before.  Hermes was amused.  He liked that coming from her.  Hermes is a jovial fellow nearly always at the point of amusement.

Some where during this very long working, he spoke of fire.  He spoke of fire in the nature of the forge  of Hephestes, a volcanos, of the sun, within our bodies, within our hair, within so many things.  He said there is no force greater but others that were equal.  It is their job, meaning my partners, to remind me of the import of the things equal to fire.  It is my job to remind them of the import of fire.

It was here that our perceptions varied.  Very often during these rites we stand very close to each other.  At this time, I believe my hands were resting on their lower backs.  I felt and remember my hands very lightly upon their bodies.  I do not remember moving them in any way.  I remember them collapsing upon me in a loving embrace both of their heads up on my shoulders, Flowers other hand upon my chest right next to our thirds.  There was very little of me there at this point but the part of me that was felt very loved and trusted and cared for.  It was touching.

Their perception was that I quite forcefully pulled them in tight to me as Hermes spoke of the fire.  In the light of the morning, I'm wondering if both perceptions are quite correct.  I do know that I felt no fear from them when they were that close.  They did not try to pull away.  As for my part, I could've stayed in the position for quite some time.  I think Hermes would've been fine with that too but they eventually relaxed and took a step back.

There was a period where Hermes waxed poetic about putting flowers in Flowers hair.  He told her to adorn her head and basically be proud of who she is.  He told her that our third would put Flowers in her hair. I saw this as a woman to woman bonding moment taking place out of my sight before the ritual. He added, "and some wine would be nice."  He was so very descriptive in my mind of what he wanted to see when next we called him.  He wants us to be less formal less stoic.  I will not say less respectful but I will say much more comfortable.

In our after conversation, both our third and Flower said at the very beginning of the ritual, they saw flowers on the table I have in the temple room. This was a nice confirmation but I didn't need that at all. There is no question I was in the precense of a god. There was no doubt. Never have I been so completely joined with a deity.

One of my favorite times, was when he turned to Flower and said,"It is called Hermetic for a reason." I simply loved the amusement in his voice and his spirit.  Internally to me he was pointing out that if she did some middle pillar exercises she would be much stronger and perhaps less internal during our sessions.

This morning I realized that statement had an additional meaning for me with my Golden Dawn style work.  Hermes is the god of transitions and exchanges.  He shared how two ideas come together and how the energies mutate and become something else.  The same is true for many ideas spawning many mutations and this is what He does.  This is a perfect description of my Golden Dawn experience.  My GD work has been continually about such clashing ideas and mutations they spawn.  It is called Hermetic for reason.

Towards the end, Hermes notice the Flower could take no more.  She was too internal.  So He turned to our third and said,"You have a job to do." Her immediate response was unlike her cheeky responses earlier.  She assented to obey whatever command he was about to issue.  He said,"Ring the bell and get her some tea." The bell immediately brought everyone out of the, what shall I call it, the trance?  This is not my usual way.  I usually take a while.

I'm sure I am leaving out a great deal of what transpired last night.  It was an incredibly long session.  It would not surprise me to be told it lasted several hours or at least two.  Hermes could've stayed with me for quite some time and I was capable of being his vessal for much longer.

Edit: Both of my partners commented during our cool down period that I turned a deep brown. I was not a black man, nor Mediterranean.  One said a very tanned Greek. The other very dark human brown like an Indian (not an American Indian).

Edit 2: Hermes spoke of the American Goetia too. He did not use those words but I knew what he was speaking in connection with. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the specific point in the rite.

Edit 3: Regarding my turning brown, I'm pretty sure at least one of them, maybe both, said my face changed completely. This is the second time I've heard this about myself in a magickal practice in a week. 

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Awesome. believe me when I say that when you write like this you are at your best: pure ethnography. More, please!

HilbertAstronaut said...

Great writing :-)

Robert said...

thank you both. Sometimes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.